Alderman Knight School has been at its current site since 1975. In 2006 the school was nearly closed due to Government Policy. Since this decision was overturned, the school has gone from strength to strength. Under the guidance of the current Head, Clare Steel, the school has achieved an Outstanding Ofsted inspection in December 2010 and in July 2011 the beginnings of a £6 million New Build and refurbishment project started.
The history of the name of our school is attributed to Alderman Frank Knight JP, MBE. (1894-1981). Frank Knight was a native of Northamptonshire but moved to Tewkesbury in 1907, and went on to play a very impressive part in the life of Tewkesbury for nearly half a century. He started as an apprentice in the clothing shop ‘Boughton's’ eventually becoming joint partner. Upon the death of Mr. Boughton, Mr. Knight, as he was then, closed the business and took a position, until his retirement in 1965, as an Assistant and then Secretary of the Tewkesbury Building Society. For many years he was prominently connected with Tewkesbury United Reformed Church.
In public life, Alderman Knight became an respected member of Tewkesbury Borough. From Borough Councillor he was elected Alderman and went on to serve four terms as Mayor. He was ultimately proposed and granted Freedom of the Borough, an honour only bestowed on nine persons since 1896. He served on all it's important committees becoming Chairman or President on most. He pursued his great interest in education most vigorously during his term as County Councillor serving on the County Education Committee. To add to this, he was for many years, Chairman of both Tewkesbury High and Grammar schools. In 1970 Alderman Knight was awarded the MBE for public services.